Monday, August 14, 2006

Saturday - by Ian McEwan

Jocelyn wanted more posts, so here they are.

Don't bother with Saturday, by Ian McEwan. I picked it up because I had read McEwan's Booker-prize winning novel, Amsternam, a couple of years ago and liked it. And Saturday was on the library shelf and available. I should have been more prepared and reserved something.

Saturday drones on and on (and on) through the stream of consciousness thoughts of the main character. The reviews say that McEwan is a master of both attention to detail and its digressions. (I agree here. Detailed to the point that I thought "What's the point?") The reviews also say the book is "powerful", "complex and suspenseful" , and "engrossing. " Well, perhaps I gave up too soon, as I couldn't take it any more and returned the book after getting through only half of it.

My rating. 1 of 4. (It was written well. I give it that.)
Amy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home