Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Passion of Artemesia

I read this awhile ago but I thought I'd review it now because of the recent discussion we had about the Italian Court case and the wearing of jeans. This book is written by Susan Vreeland, we read her book on a Vermeer painting -- there was a Hallmark movie as well and that book was Girl in Hyacinth Blue. Ms. Vreeland seems to be exploring artists as her following book The Forest Lover is also about an artist. In Passion of Artemesia Ms. Vreeland explores the woman behind the art. I liked the book so much I bought one of the references she used. That's why I have the full text of Artemesia's rape trial -- that book also has color plates of her paintings. Artemesia's father was also a very famous painter. Artemesia herself was the first woman artist admitted to the Accademia dell' Arte del Disegno. The book is well researched and very well written. Artemesia's story is worth reading/seeing. You really must see the art when reading the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home